When no one else would, a group of parents started a preschool for their children with special needs. That was 1967, and from this act of love the Arc of Loudoun was born. Since then, this 501(c)3 has grown and matured into a full-service organization with multiple programs that together provide a lifetime of opportunities for people with disabilities.
At The Arc of Loudoun, it always has been and always will be our mission to advocate for, educate, serve and support people with disabilities and their families. With this mission in mind, we have five unique programs on our campus:
- The Aurora School, a private day school licensed by the Virginia Department of Education, teaches students with special needs, particularly those with Autism.
- Open Door Learning Center, a preschool that serves children with and without disabilities.
- “A Life Like Yours” ALLY Advocacy Center, fills the unmet needs of the community by providing free information on disability rights, guidance, support, events, and workshops to families and caretakers of those with disabilities and the professionals who work with them.
- Aurora Behavior Clinic, provides individualized therapeutic options for children with autism and other related disabilities, with a specialized curriculum focused on verbal behavior and increasing social interactions.
- Ability Fitness Center is therapeutic fitness and wellness center with expert clinicians and specialized equipment that will provide access to innovative, customized and activity-based interventions for people with neurological and developmental disabilities.